Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are you smoking today?
Amphora Kentucky Blend this afternoon, and Cornell & Diehl Americana on an evening hike.  The Americana is an interpretation of old American burley-based English/latakia blends.  Light on the latakia, but enjoyable for what it is, especially when soaking in the late-night sunshine.
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." — Jesus
www.youtube.com/troutwhisperer
The following 2 users Like TroutWhisperer's post:
  • Droo78, Tony'schin
Like Reply
This morning I enjoyed Mac Baren Vanilla Cream in a full-bent estate pipe a friend calls my "Sherlock Holmes" pipe, as I knew I would be around unsophisticated, non-tobacco-appreciating cretins.  The vanilla flavoring is palatable, but the underlying tobacco flavor, which occasionally asserts itself, is first rate.
This afternoon, I lit a Cohiba Red Dot habano corona on the way to a trailhead.  Coronas are the most enjoyable vitola for me when they work, but at least half the coronas I have smoked were riddled with knots and a pain in the [so-and-so] to smoke.  I enjoyed the cedar and cream after a while, though.
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." — Jesus
The following 3 users Like TroutWhisperer's post:
  • CrustyCat, Droo78, Tony'schin
Like Reply
The last of the Mixture 79 this afternoon, and G.L. Pease Spark Plug this evening.  Quite the variety today.
The following 3 users Like TroutWhisperer's post:
  • CrustyCat, Droo78, Tony'schin
Like Reply
Finishing off a 1/4lbs of G&H Exclusiv Plum & Rum, it was ok but think I will split it next time as it got a little boring towards the end. I found it also worked well in a filtered Falcon but burned hot in the Peterson Rhodesian types.
The Clan of Catchers - The Jayaruh Brushes - Williams Mug Shave Soap Club

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo
The following 1 user Likes Tony'schin's post:
  • TroutWhisperer
Like Reply
(06-30-2020, 05:36 PM)Tony\schin Wrote: ...burned hot in the Peterson Rhodesian types.

Plumb flambé!
The following 1 user Likes TroutWhisperer's post:
  • Tony'schin
Like Reply
Back on with the Mac Baren Navy Flake, i find it a wonderful tasty tobacco, slow burning and easy on the palate. At present a bowlful in the Peterson's 80S Donegal Rhodesian. I will most definitely be stocking this in the storage cupboard.
Quick question.
I am thinking of getting a bowl reamer, anyone used the Senior adjustable? If so how do you rate it.
If not, what do you use to keep your cake under control.

Cheers
T

Like Reply
I asked a shop to stock a Virginia flake, and they chose Mac Baren's Navy Flake.  It contains more burley than I expected, but, as you mentioned, it is thoroughly enjoyable.

Reamers often remove as much wood as cake, so I use a knife. I also use cotton balls (as opposed to salt) and Everclear.
The following 1 user Likes TroutWhisperer's post:
  • Tony'schin
Like Reply
(07-03-2020, 12:05 AM)TroutWhisperer Wrote: I asked a shop to stock a Virginia flake, and they chose Mac Baren's Navy Flake.  It contains more burley than I expected, but, as you mentioned, it is thoroughly enjoyable.

Reamers often remove as much wood as cake, so I use a knife.  I also use cotton balls (as opposed to salt) and Everclear.
I have been carefully using a pipe knife, however, i never seem to be able to keep the walls smooth, i do not take a lot off and use the blade gently. I may stick with this method, instead of £25 for a reamer i will get another 2 different tobaccos to try.
Thanks @TroutWhisperer

Like Reply
Yesterday, I enjoyed the venerable Prince Albert on the way to the trailhead, but there was no parking because I overslept like a slob.  So I lit the Bahia Brazil I had planned to smoke upon my return from the summit.  It has some of the flavors I enjoy in CAO's Brazilia, but don't ask me to describe them.  Definitely a good budget smoke.

Today, I actually got out of bed in time, and ye olde Price Albert accompanied me on the return trip to the trailhead under the midnight sun.  The trail was a mess, but I proved the natural insect repellent triumphant over the [insert multiple expletives] mosquitoes, and rewarded myself upon my return to the parking lot with an American Viking Liga Zebra barber pole habano/shade-grown gem of a tasty cigar.

I hope my American single-edge friends enjoyed a happy Independence Day.
The following 2 users Like TroutWhisperer's post:
  • Droo78, Tony'schin
Like Reply
Finished off my 1st pack of Mac Baren Navy Flake today, first bowl in a Peterson Smooth Kildare 999 Rhodesian,  just finished a bowl in a filtered Falcon international fitted with a smooth Algiers bowl.
I have really enjoyed it, so much so there are now 5 packets in the tobacco cupboard.
Next up is some Mac Baren Black Ambrosia to run alongside the G&H American Delite (Lane 1Q).

The following 2 users Like Tony'schin's post:
  • Droo78, TroutWhisperer
Like Reply