tost3
vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades - Printable Version

+- tost3 (https://www.tost3.com)
+-- Forum: Other Shave Tools (https://www.tost3.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Forum: Razor Blades (https://www.tost3.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades (/showthread.php?tid=154)

Pages: 1 2

vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades - Cleavep222 - 08-08-2020

As many of us have found out, whereas vintage carbon steel DE blades tend to be "rough as a cob" as we say in Texas, many vintage SE carbon steel blades are very sharp and give great shaves.  Yes, you have to dry them off after each shave so they won't rust, but still give great shaves.  Has anyone tried the vintage GEM/STAR SCIENTIFIC  blades that can come in either the yellow or white colored plastic blade-holder?  If so, how were they?  Thanks,
Cleave

RE: vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades - Droo78 - 08-08-2020

(08-08-2020, 12:31 AM)cpool222 Wrote: As many of us have found out, whereas vintage carbon steel DE blades tend to be "rough as a cob" as we say in Texas, many vintage SE carbon steel blades are very sharp and give great shaves.  Yes, you have to dry them off after each shave so they won't rust, but still give great shaves.  Has anyone tried the vintage GEM/STAR SCIENTIFIC  blades that can come in either the yellow or white colored plastic blade-holder?  If so, how were they?  Thanks,
Cleave

I have some that are in the yellow dispenser. I bought a case of 120 of them a while back. They shave well. I actually sent some to Jim "Jayaruh" to try but do not remember if he used them yet.

RE: vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades - Cleavep222 - 08-08-2020

(08-08-2020, 03:39 PM)Droo78 Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 12:31 AM)cpool222 Wrote: As many of us have found out, whereas vintage carbon steel DE blades tend to be "rough as a cob" as we say in Texas, many vintage SE carbon steel blades are very sharp and give great shaves.  Yes, you have to dry them off after each shave so they won't rust, but still give great shaves.  Has anyone tried the vintage GEM/STAR SCIENTIFIC  blades that can come in either the yellow or white colored plastic blade-holder?  If so, how were they?  Thanks,
Cleave

I have some that are in the yellow dispenser. I bought a case of 120 of them a while back. They shave well. I actually sent some to Jim "Jayaruh" to try but do not remember if he used them yet.

So the shave isn't rough?
Cleave

RE: vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades - Jayaruh - 08-09-2020

I had forgotten about these. I found them and will be shaving with one tomorrow with my TNNSER. I visually compared them to my Gem SS PTFE blades  which are faceted. These are not faceted. We shall see. I will let you know how it goes.

[Image: IMG-2708b.jpg]

RE: vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades - Cleavep222 - 08-09-2020

(08-09-2020, 04:30 PM)Jayaruh Wrote: I had forgotten about these. I found them and will be shaving with one tomorrow with my TNNSER. I visually compared them to my Gem SS PTFE blades  which are faceted. These are not faceted. We shall see. I will let you know how it goes.

[Image: IMG-2708b.jpg]

OK, thanks,
Cleave

RE: vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades - Droo78 - 08-10-2020

(08-08-2020, 07:20 PM)cpool222 Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 03:39 PM)Droo78 Wrote: I have some that are in the yellow dispenser. I bought a case of 120 of them a while back. They shave well. I actually sent some to Jim "Jayaruh" to try but do not remember if he used them yet.

So the shave isn't rough?
Cleave

Compared to a GEM SS PTFE, I found the Duridium blades to be a little on the rough side. They still shaved off the stubble... Big Grin

RE: vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades - Wchnu - 08-10-2020

I have some in a yellow thingie that are from like 6-7 years ago that suck.

RE: vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades - Jayaruh - 08-10-2020

Today's shave was a success, but the Duridium blade is not made for shaving. It was tuggy, but I did get a good close shave.

RE: vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades - Cleavep222 - 08-10-2020

(08-10-2020, 02:18 PM)Jayaruh Wrote: Today's shave was a success, but the Duridium blade is not made for shaving. It was tuggy, but I did get a good close shave.

Thanks for the info!

(08-10-2020, 01:26 PM)Wchnu Wrote: I have some in a yellow thingie that are from like 6-7 years ago that suck.

Thanks!

RE: vintage GEM/STAR Scientific blades - Jayaruh - 08-10-2020

I was really hoping for the best, but when I visually compared the Duridium to a SS PTFE blade, my confidence went out the door. Although I did get a good shave, it was not a smooth and comfortable one. I ended up smooth. It just took a bit more effort.