tost3
GEM Jr - Printable Version

+- tost3 (https://www.tost3.com)
+-- Forum: Razors (https://www.tost3.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: GEM (https://www.tost3.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: GEM Jr (/showthread.php?tid=246)

Pages: 1 2 3

GEM Jr - Bryan_D - 11-25-2020

Is there a difference between a GEM razor and a GEM Jr. razor?

RE: GEM Jr - Wchnu - 11-25-2020

(11-25-2020, 06:47 PM)Bryan_D Wrote: Is there a difference between a GEM razor and a GEM Jr. razor?

I think it has to do with when they were made. I have 1912’s that look the same. Some say GEM some add the Junior on.

RE: GEM Jr - Bryan_D - 11-25-2020

(11-25-2020, 08:18 PM)Wchnu Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 06:47 PM)Bryan_D Wrote: Is there a difference between a GEM razor and a GEM Jr. razor?

I think it has to do with when they were made. I have 1912’s that look the same. Some say GEM some add the Junior on.

I thought so...

RE: GEM Jr - HoosierTrooper - 02-03-2021

The name Junior was first used by GEM in 1906 when they started selling sets with the new rib-back blade that replaced the original wedge blades. Why ASR started stamping Junior on some of the 1912 models is anyones guess because by then wedge blades were long gone. I've always wondered why they chose the word Junior to identify the sets with the new blades.

RE: GEM Jr - ShadowsDad - 02-03-2021

And that is precisely one of the things we missed when you weren't here Tom. Your knowledge is tremendous. It is VERY(!) good to have you back!

RE: GEM Jr - Jayaruh - 02-04-2021

(02-03-2021, 02:24 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: And that is precisely one of the things we missed when you weren't here Tom. Your knowledge is tremendous. It is VERY(!) good to have you back!

Yeah, what he said.

RE: GEM Jr - Dave in KY - 06-04-2021

Friday June 4, 2021
Razor: Gem Junior/Batan Handle
Blade: Gem (3)
Brush: Graydog/Synbad
Soap: Zingari Man The Soloist
AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
AS 2: CHH Tobacco
Fragrance: BVLGARI Man in Black Essence
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 940

RE: GEM Jr - luv2shave - 06-04-2021

I've read a few posts on other forums detailing a shorter, flatter head on the junior compared to the original Gem razors. The change over to modern flatter Gem blades mentioned by Tom could explain the changes in geometry. Using the "Junior" name could be a marketing touch to show tht it is a newer generation just like the Gillette "New", "improved" for its double sided thingies.

RE: GEM Jr - TobyC - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 12:16 PM)luv2shave Wrote: I've read a few posts on other forums detailing a shorter, flatter head on the junior compared to the original Gem razors. The change over to modern flatter Gem blades mentioned by Tom could explain the changes in geometry. Using the "Junior" name  could be a marketing touch to show tht it is a newer generation just like the Gillette "New", "improved" for its double sided thingies.

The name "Junior" was used earlier on their lather catchers, both bar and barless. The later 1912 junior was the same as other later 1912s. I don't know why they used the name in either case, marketing for younger shavers maybe?

RE: GEM Jr - luv2shave - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 01:23 PM)TobyC Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 12:16 PM)luv2shave Wrote: I've read a few posts on other forums detailing a shorter, flatter head on the junior compared to the original Gem razors. The change over to modern flatter Gem blades mentioned by Tom could explain the changes in geometry. Using the "Junior" name  could be a marketing touch to show tht it is a newer generation just like the Gillette "New", "improved" for its double sided thingies.

The name "Junior" was used earlier on their lather catchers, both bar and barless. The later 1912 junior was the same as other later 1912s. I don't know why they used the name in either case, marketing for younger shavers maybe?
You have a point there. That didn't strike me !