Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GEM Jr
(06-04-2021, 12:16 PM)luv2shave Wrote: I've read a few posts on other forums detailing a shorter, flatter head on the junior compared to the original Gem razors. The change over to modern flatter Gem blades mentioned by Tom could explain the changes in geometry. Using the "Junior" name  could be a marketing touch to show tht it is a newer generation just like the Gillette "New", "improved" for its double sided thingies.

I have seen that flatter head on travel sets I think. I will have to dig around and see if I can find enough razors to find out if there are Jr.s with different heads or if the different heads carry different names.
Happy shaves to ya!
The following 3 users Like Wchnu's post:
  • GAW9576, luv2shave, TobyC
Like Reply
I don't think the "junior" was different in any way from other 1912s produced during the same timeframe. (happy to be wrong) The later ones had rounded front corners on juniors and non-juniors. They were made for many years with different names in different factories and in different countries, and they changed in appearance over the years, but I think junior was just a different name, not a different razor.
Boar brushes, brass razors, and hard pucks ARE traditional wet shaving. Everything else is modern day fluff for the girly men.
The following 2 users Like TobyC's post:
  • GAW9576, luv2shave
Like Reply
I can't go here to read this, but it sounds good.

Which is the real 1912 razor? | TheShaveDen
Boar brushes, brass razors, and hard pucks ARE traditional wet shaving. Everything else is modern day fluff for the girly men.
The following 1 user Likes TobyC's post:
  • GAW9576
Like Reply
http://forum.shavemyface.com/viewtopic.p...912+family
The following 1 user Likes TobyC's post:
  • GAW9576
Like Reply
(06-08-2021, 07:38 AM)Wchnu Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 12:16 PM)luv2shave Wrote: I've read a few posts on other forums detailing a shorter, flatter head on the junior compared to the original Gem razors. The change over to modern flatter Gem blades mentioned by Tom could explain the changes in geometry. Using the "Junior" name  could be a marketing touch to show tht it is a newer generation just like the Gillette "New", "improved" for its double sided thingies.

I have seen that flatter head on travel sets I think. I will have to dig around and see if I can find enough razors to find out if there are Jr.s with different heads or if the different heads carry different names.

I think you're referring to the "squat" head, which was for those thin cigarette cases.

I've only seen them with the regular GEM brand on them. I have one but don't have a pic of the back of it right now, here's one from the web.

The following 2 users Like TobyC's post:
  • GAW9576, Wchnu
Like Reply
I have 2 of the squat heads in the little case. One has a curved top the other is flatter. I'll try to remember to post pictures later today.
The following 1 user Likes GAW9576's post:
  • TobyC
Like Reply
OK here are some pictures of my w squat head Gem 1912s from a shave comparison from a while ago. The difference isn't super obvious I. These pictures so if anyone wants me to I'll try to get better pictures. 

The following 3 users Like GAW9576's post:
  • Dave in KY, Jayaruh, TobyC
Like Reply
(06-25-2021, 02:35 PM)GAW9576 Wrote: OK here are some pictures of my w squat head Gem 1912s from a shave comparison from a while ago. The difference isn't super obvious I. These pictures so if anyone wants me to I'll try to get better pictures. 

They both just say Gem on the back. I did a video with the straight cap one a few days ago. Also showed off the curved cap one.
Happy shaves to ya!
The following 1 user Likes Wchnu's post:
  • GAW9576
Like Reply
Monday August 16, 2021
Razor: Gem Junior/Baton Handle
Blade: Gem SS (7)
Brush: Trotter Handcrafts "Scoville"
Soap: Haslinger Schafmilch
AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
AS 2: Ethos Fresh Lime SFS
Fragrance: Scuderia Ferrari Black
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1013

Viewer # 7  Musketeer #1
Running Amuck !
The following 2 users Like Dave in KY's post:
  • GAW9576, Jayaruh
Like Reply
Sunday August 22, 2021
Razor: Gem Junior
Blade: Gem SS (9)
Brush: Knothead Zebrawood
Soap: Honeybee Cucumber Melon
AS 1: Humphrey's Alcoholado Maravilla 70
AS 2: Proraso Green Splash
Fragrance: n/a
Consecutive Daily Shaves - # 1019

Great shave. Blade at 9 shaves is needing more strokes I think but still giving smooth, close and irritation free shaves. The soap I'm calling done as it is not doing it for me quality wise and is near gone anyway. I wish I had this scent in a quality soap. Moving on to CFG Sherlock that survived the recent soap reduction sale as a complete set with splash and EDT to match. Enjoy your Sunday, it's back to the grind tomorrow !

Viewer # 7  Musketeer #1
Running Amuck !
The following 2 users Like Dave in KY's post:
  • GAW9576, TobyC
Like Reply