Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walking Stick
I ran into a guy at Sam's Club today who had  a nice home made walking stick, and we struck up a conversation. He has made hundreds of them and given them away. He said he had some out in his truck and that I could pick one out. Well, I did. It was a walking stick height, but I cut it down and put a handle on it to make it more of a cane for me. Here are the pictures after I finished. I ended up taking about a foot off the whole length, some from the top and some from the bottom.

[Image: IMG_2479.JPG]  [Image: IMG_2480.JPG]

[Image: IMG_2481.JPG]
I secured the handle to the top with two dowels.

[Image: IMG_2482.JPG]  [Image: IMG_2483.JPG]

[Image: IMG_2484.JPG]  [Image: IMG_2485.JPG]

[Image: IMG_2486.JPG]  [Image: IMG_2487.JPG]
Jim - The Cackalacky Kid "Finally, shaving is fun again..." 
The Jayaruh Brushes  - The Clan of Catchers
The following 3 users Like Jayaruh's post:
  • Droo78, mlb 549, TroutWhisperer
Like Reply
I use a cane or walking stick when I go out on the levee and such to walk. That looks great. His work along with your work errrrrrrrr works...Smile
Happy shaves to ya!
The following 3 users Like Wchnu's post:
  • GAW9576, Jayaruh, TroutWhisperer
Like Reply
Unfortunately I use one also from time to time. Most times I can get along without it, but if the walk is long enough then it gets used as my legs take a breather. If I brought along a chair the cane wouldn't be required. Big Grin

I like handmade. Nice.

They have other uses besides the obvious. And due to liability and the ADA they can't be taken away, not even when boarding an aircraft. Just never refer to it as a weapon or they can take it. I mostly carry a heavy one with a meat hook on the end I hold. Too, some designs are illegal in some states. Maine is fairly open minded but closed minded when it comes to a shillelagh and the grasping ball (weight) on the end.
The following 2 users Like ShadowsDad's post:
  • GAW9576, Jayaruh
Like Reply
https://www.farlows.co.uk/classic-canes-...stick.html#
Have a look at these. There must be something similar across the pond.
T
The Clan of Catchers - The Jayaruh Brushes - Williams Mug Shave Soap Club

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo
Like Reply
(06-21-2020, 01:15 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Unfortunately I use one also from time to time. Most times I can get along without it, but if the walk is long enough then it gets used as my legs take a breather. If I brought along a chair the cane wouldn't be required. Big Grin

I like handmade. Nice.

They have other uses besides the obvious. And due to liability and the ADA they can't be taken away, not even when boarding an aircraft. Just never refer to it as a weapon or they can take it. I mostly carry a heavy one with a meat hook on the end I hold. Too, some designs are illegal in some states. Maine is fairly open minded but closed minded when it comes to a shillelagh and the grasping ball (weight) on the end.
I use mine for balance!
Happy shaves to ya!
The following 1 user Likes Wchnu's post:
  • ShadowsDad
Like Reply
(06-21-2020, 03:32 PM)Tony\schin Wrote: https://www.farlows.co.uk/classic-canes-...stick.html#
Have a look at these. There must be something similar across the pond.
T
I will check that out!
Happy shaves to ya!
Like Reply
(06-21-2020, 04:35 PM)Wchnu Wrote:
(06-21-2020, 01:15 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Unfortunately I use one also from time to time. Most times I can get along without it, but if the walk is long enough then it gets used as my legs take a breather. If I brought along a chair the cane wouldn't be required. Big Grin

I like handmade. Nice.

I use mine for balance!
Me too Fuzzy, but that doesn't mean it can't have a secondary use as well. When my calves decide to quit, as they do when asked to do too much, mine acts like a 3rd leg. But if attacked by a rabid 2 legged animal that doesn't require lethal force to handle, it will just as easily break a collar bone. Neither has been required so far and disengagement is far preferable.

I like that cane seat. I have never seen anything like it over here.
Like Reply
(06-21-2020, 07:49 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
(06-21-2020, 04:35 PM)Wchnu Wrote: I use mine for balance!
Me too Fuzzy, but that doesn't mean it can't have a secondary use as well. When my calves decide to quit, as they do when asked to do too much, mine acts like a 3rd leg. But if attacked by a rabid 2 legged animal that doesn't require lethal force to handle, it will just as easily break a collar bone. Neither has been required so far and disengagement is far preferable.

We call them shooting sticks over here, try amazon, they are also on there.
T
The Clan of Catchers - The Jayaruh Brushes - Williams Mug Shave Soap Club

Nil Desperandum Auspice Deo
Like Reply
(06-21-2020, 09:30 PM)Tony\schin Wrote:
(06-21-2020, 07:49 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Me too Fuzzy, but that doesn't mean it can't have a secondary use as well. When my calves decide to quit, as they do when asked to do too much, mine acts like a 3rd leg. But if attacked by a rabid 2 legged animal that doesn't require lethal force to handle, it will just as easily break a collar bone. Neither has been required so far and disengagement is far preferable.

We call them shooting sticks over here, try amazon, they are also on there.
T
My Grandad taught me how to use a shooting stick. Handy skill to have.
Happy shaves to ya!
The following 2 users Like Wchnu's post:
  • Jayaruh, Tony'schin
Like Reply