Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new handle for an old razor.
(07-03-2021, 01:37 AM)TobyC Wrote:
(07-03-2021, 12:25 AM)Dave in KY Wrote: In person I'm really leaning towards this one. It's 3 inches. The others are 5 inches so too small for 2 handles I think

Looks African, and a bit monochromatic with the gold head, but you are the one who has to like it not me.

I would work that handle by hand, I don't see any need for heavy equipment.

(07-03-2021, 03:32 AM)GAW9576 Wrote:
(07-03-2021, 12:25 AM)Dave in KY Wrote: In person I'm really leaning towards this one. It's 3 inches. The others are 5 inches so too small for 2 handles I think

I'm sure that one will look quite nice when finished. Especially without the others to compare it to. It was just not my top choice if you were looking for opinions. As TobyC already said it's your taste that really matters on material selection for your razor. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

You guys may be right. I've been accused of monochromatic choices in suits and ties before too  Big Grin Maybe I'll try the Black one. So I thought you were going to give a hint of the process or order to make it easier after asking of what tools were available ? I figured get the rough shape with a band saw, if routing getting edges desired and then sand away until finish is attained. Then drill the hole. What size did you drill for it?
Viewer # 7  Musketeer #1
Running Amuck !
The following 1 user Likes Dave in KY's post:
  • GAW9576 (07-03-2021)
Like Reply
(07-03-2021, 09:28 AM)Dave in KY Wrote:
(07-03-2021, 01:37 AM)TobyC Wrote: Looks African, and a bit monochromatic with the gold head, but you are the one who has to like it not me.

I would work that handle by hand, I don't see any need for heavy equipment.

(07-03-2021, 03:32 AM)GAW9576 Wrote: I'm sure that one will look quite nice when finished. Especially without the others to compare it to. It was just not my top choice if you were looking for opinions. As TobyC already said it's your taste that really matters on material selection for your razor. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

You guys may be right. I've been accused of monochromatic choices in suits and ties before too  Big Grin Maybe I'll try the Black one. So I thought you were going to give a hint of the process or order to make it easier after asking of what tools were available ? I figured get the rough shape with a band saw, if routing getting edges desired and then sand away until finish is attained. Then drill the hole. What size did you drill for it?

Maybe not the most best way but I drilled first. Then I cut the profile that would be seen from the side view. Next trim the sides off to get the taper seenfrom the top view. Next router and then sand. Lastly glue on head and clean up final details.
If you wait till last to drill the hole it will be harder to safely hold the handle and get a clean hole.
I don't know what size hole it was. I just drilled test holes in a piece of scrap till I found the one just big enough for a slip fit. Also it takes VERY LITTLE glue when you do this because it's a tight fit. Wipe any extra glue off Fast and then do any extra clean up necessary.
The following 2 users Like GAW9576's post:
  • Dave in KY (07-03-2021), TobyC (07-03-2021)
Like Reply
(06-28-2021, 03:12 AM)GAW9576 Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 12:59 AM)TobyC Wrote: What are the words on the spring around the rivet?

It says Shick Injector.

First use of this re-handled Schick still not sure if it's a late E or a G. Either way it shaved great. I will have to do a comparison shave with ones I know to be a G and an E soon.

I made the handle slightly longer than the ones on my other E or Gs and it feels wonderful. Although if I make another I think I will go a bit bigger yet.

It is a G. Not sure what model G but it is a G.
Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time.
George S. Patton
The following 2 users Like Wchnu's post:
  • GAW9576 (07-04-2021), TobyC (07-04-2021)
Like Reply

I like that one. Maybe I missed this already but are you going to keep the handle shape of the original?
Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time.
George S. Patton
The following 3 users Like Wchnu's post:
  • Dave in KY (07-04-2021), GAW9576 (07-04-2021), TobyC (07-04-2021)
Like Reply
(07-04-2021, 03:09 AM)Wchnu Wrote:

I like that one. Maybe I missed this already but are you going to keep the handle shape of the original?

Good question as I may do the original but only if I can't think or come up with something a little different.
Viewer # 7  Musketeer #1
Running Amuck !
The following 1 user Likes Dave in KY's post:
  • GAW9576 (07-04-2021)
Like Reply
(07-04-2021, 03:05 AM)Wchnu Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 03:12 AM)GAW9576 Wrote: It says Shick Injector.

First use of this re-handled Schick still not sure if it's a late E or a G. Either way it shaved great. I will have to do a comparison shave with ones I know to be a G and an E soon.

I made the handle slightly longer than the ones on my other E or Gs and it feels wonderful. Although if I make another I think I will go a bit bigger yet.

Not at all arguing with you but on initial shave it did not feel like my G. I think I will do a shave off with this one my G and my E today.
The following 3 users Like GAW9576's post:
  • Dave in KY (07-04-2021), TobyC (07-04-2021), Wchnu (07-07-2021)
Like Reply
(07-04-2021, 03:05 AM)Wchnu Wrote:
(06-28-2021, 03:12 AM)GAW9576 Wrote: It says Shick Injector.

'45~'46 transition model, using E spring on G razor, it is a G, but they had to use up what was in the parts bin.
Boar brushes, brass razors, and hard pucks ARE traditional wet shaving. Everything else is modern day fluff for the girly men.
The following 1 user Likes TobyC's post:
  • GAW9576 (07-04-2021)
Like Reply
(07-04-2021, 09:28 PM)TobyC Wrote:
(07-04-2021, 03:05 AM)Wchnu Wrote: It is a G. Not sure what model G but it is a G.

'45~'46 transition model, using E spring on G razor, it is a G, but they had to use up what was in the parts bin.

Makes sense.
Here is today's shave.

Today I did a shave comparison between my Schick E my mystery/hybrid Schick E/G and my Schick G. The mystery razor seemed to be more efficient/aggressive than the Type E. Not sure what the mystery razor really is but I like it.
In the first picture the order is E on the left mystery in the middle and G on the left.
In the third picture you can see the Type E spring and larger Type E rivet.

The following 1 user Likes GAW9576's post:
  • TobyC (07-05-2021)
Like Reply
(07-05-2021, 03:31 AM)GAW9576 Wrote: In the first picture the order is E on the left mystery in the middle and G on the left.

Too many razors on the left. Big Grin
Boar brushes, brass razors, and hard pucks ARE traditional wet shaving. Everything else is modern day fluff for the girly men.
  • GAW9576 (07-05-2021)
Like Reply
Very good pix, your E is a 2?
  • GAW9576 (07-05-2021)
Like Reply