Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Sarge Introduction
(09-18-2021, 01:53 AM)Old Sarge Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 01:12 AM)GAW9576 Wrote: Absolutely. I enjoy most of the process and we go to a community day each Monday and go over the weeks lesson materials. It is a great group and gives the kids time to interact with others their age. Homeschooling also allows me to keep an eye on my kids development more closely. I struggled with severe depression from a very young age and it can run in families. I'm really glad I can talk to my kids about it and watch to be sure they don't struggle with it. I didn't talk to anyone about it until I was 29 and that was only the beginning of a long struggle to get to the point I'm at now we're its not a constant problem. I'm 44 now and have had very little struggle with the depression for the last 4 years.
There are struggles with homeschool and I have to remind the older 2 that public school wasn't any easier, especially with the amount of homework they came home with each day.

I'm sure your oldest is getting to the point with the others not far behind where they want to participate in some sort of sport of activity. Then it will be game on when you get all three going three different directions at the same time!  Big Grin

Yeah, depression is a tough nut. Runs in my family and quite frankly I know about it first hand and really don't talk about it. Having done twenty years in the military, there is quite the stigma surrounding mental health. Once you attain a certain rank and more importantly, once you get a security clearance, you've really got to go in the closet with any mental health issues. Considering the last twenty years and many troops deploying in and out of war zones on an all too regular basis, the military did change a bit in dealing with PTSD. Having been retired almost 12 years to the day and no longer working a contractor position where a security clearance was involved, it's difficult not to still just suck it up and carry on like I did for so many years!

I know we're well off the shaving talk, but since this is my introduction thread and it's been great getting to know folks I guess we are OK.

Good chat!

Yeah so far the kids haven't been interested in any activities. We live in the country though and have chickens and quail they take care of. We also have a 14' by 25' greenhouse and several gardens they help with. That and we are pretty involved with church and do a lot with friends. So we are pretty busy without sports or other organized activities.

I think Americans in general are pretty tight lipped about depression men more so than women and I can definitely see we're it would be even more so in the military. I have found that talking about it has been the best therapy. That and my faith and involvement in our church were we have made some really good friends that we get together with a lot. The meds they had me on for a while certainly didn't help. In fact they made things a lot worse. Luckily I've been of all meds for many years now. I know they can be beneficial for many people but my experience with them was very rough.

Yeah we are definitely off topic for a shave forums but like you said this is your introduction thread so the topic is pretty much anything you want to talk about.
The following 2 users Like GAW9576's post:
  • Dave in KY, Old Sarge
Like Reply
You are definitely on topic for this forum thread, clearly the OP guides it and allows it. It might not be SE shaving but we love vets. Carry on! That's an order! Save vet' lives! Far too many take their own lives from the horror that they saw or experienced.

And clearly I have over stepped my authority by stating that.
The following 4 users Like ShadowsDad's post:
  • GAW9576, Old Sarge, Tony'schin, Twelvefret
Like Reply
(09-19-2021, 03:53 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: You are definitely on topic for this forum thread, clearly the OP guides it and allows it. It might not be SE shaving but we love vets. Carry on! That's an order! Save vet' lives! Far too many take their own lives from the horror that they saw or experienced.

And clearly I have over stepped my authority by stating that.

Thank you. It's not easy to talk about a lot of times but I feel it's something that should definitely be talked about.
The following 3 users Like GAW9576's post:
  • Old Sarge, ShadowsDad, Tony'schin
Like Reply
(09-17-2021, 03:34 AM)Old Sarge Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 02:48 AM)GAW9576 Wrote: OK. The search and rescue team found the pictures in my archives much faster that I had thought possible. But I'm tired so I'm not searching for a more proper place to post pictures pointing out possible peculiarities per my observations of perfectly pretty razors positioned to point out said peculiarities to people. So if anyone knows of a more proper spot to post this please inform me and I will repost there also.

So here they are. The first Gen. Is a deluxe in this case with glod head and end cap on the handle. The second Gen would then be the silver head and brown handled one. If you look at the 1st picture the most obvious and easiest to spot difference is the thumb tab differences. It's a bit harder to see differences in the second picture but in the third you can see the difference in the head profiles and how much further forward the side of the top cap of the second Gen. comes. These are the main differences that I have noticed. I can't say unequivocally that the first Gen is a better shaver in any rock solid fashion but I do prefer the first Gen. I eventually plan on getting a standard fist Gen. but if I were to only have one featherweight I would definitely want it to be a Deluxe. 

That's some kind of search and rescue team you have there! It's late, at least where I am, so I can appreciate you are tired and I'm grateful for your efforts! There are a lot of "P" words in your first "P"aragraph...I'll have to give that one another read tomorrow. Kind of has a Dr. Seuss sing-songy way about it!  Big Grin

Nice razors! Is it an optical illusion, or is the Gen II head shorter from front to back than the Gen I...looks that way in picture 3, but not in pictures 1 & 2. It's interesting that Gen II has a crease on the top cap that slants away both to the front and the rear. It looks like it would change the shaving angle compared to Gen I, as the crease would push the razor away from your face. Because of this I would think they've got to shave a bit differently. I guess in a way this is comparable to the 1912s and how they have heads that are slightly different, with some being flat and some being curved.

I'll look again tomorrow after I'm up and got coffee in me. Really great photos! That Gen II is a real looker! The combination of the kind of matte grey plating and the brown handle is nice! The styling of the tab with the grooves gives it a modern look.

Again, much appreciated!!! Wish there were a thumbs up emoji option because this is where it would be!

Hey, GAW9576!

It just dawned on me that the top cap on the Gen I looks like the 1912, while the top cap on the Gen II looks like the G-Bar.
Bryan, FNG-SE
The following 1 user Likes Old Sarge's post:
  • GAW9576
Like Reply
(09-19-2021, 04:35 PM)Old Sarge Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 03:34 AM)Old Sarge Wrote: That's some kind of search and rescue team you have there! It's late, at least where I am, so I can appreciate you are tired and I'm grateful for your efforts! There are a lot of "P" words in your first "P"aragraph...I'll have to give that one another read tomorrow. Kind of has a Dr. Seuss sing-songy way about it!  Big Grin

Nice razors! Is it an optical illusion, or is the Gen II head shorter from front to back than the Gen I...looks that way in picture 3, but not in pictures 1 & 2. It's interesting that Gen II has a crease on the top cap that slants away both to the front and the rear. It looks like it would change the shaving angle compared to Gen I, as the crease would push the razor away from your face. Because of this I would think they've got to shave a bit differently. I guess in a way this is comparable to the 1912s and how they have heads that are slightly different, with some being flat and some being curved.

I'll look again tomorrow after I'm up and got coffee in me. Really great photos! That Gen II is a real looker! The combination of the kind of matte grey plating and the brown handle is nice! The styling of the tab with the grooves gives it a modern look.

Again, much appreciated!!! Wish there were a thumbs up emoji option because this is where it would be!

Hey, GAW9576!

It just dawned on me that the top cap on the Gen I looks like the 1912, while the top cap on the Gen II looks like the G-Bar.

I will have to compare the razors to see if they are identical of just similar. You are right though.
The following 2 users Like GAW9576's post:
  • Old Sarge, TobyC
Like Reply