Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help With Cleaning Up Vintage SE Razors
Maas and Flitz are nice. But if you can, get Elsterglanz Universal polish polishing paste. It's finer than even Maas. Speaking from more than a decade of polishing cut-throat razors here. If you have only a thin veneer of plating left, Elsterglanz may be able to save it.
The following 3 users Like RobinK's post:
  • Dave in KY, GAW9576, Old Sarge
Like Reply
(09-22-2021, 06:04 PM)RobinK Wrote: Maas and Flitz are nice. But if you can, get Elsterglanz Universal polish polishing paste. It's finer than even Maas. Speaking from more than a decade of polishing cut-throat razors here. If you have only a thin veneer of plating left, Elsterglanz may be able to save it.

Hey, RobinK! Thanks for the advice! Looks like Elsterglanz is a German product, might be hard to get in the states. I see from your profile that your in Munchen...lovely city! I got to Octoberfest back in 2008, I think it was. Something everyone should experience. I miss Germany!
Bryan, FNG-SE
The following 3 users Like Old Sarge's post:
  • Dave in KY, GAW9576, RobinK
Like Reply
(09-22-2021, 06:13 PM)Old Sarge Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 06:04 PM)RobinK Wrote: Maas and Flitz are nice. But if you can, get Elsterglanz Universal polish polishing paste. It's finer than even Maas. Speaking from more than a decade of polishing cut-throat razors here. If you have only a thin veneer of plating left, Elsterglanz may be able to save it.

Hey, RobinK! Thanks for the advice! Looks like Elsterglanz is a German product, might be hard to get in the states. I see from your profile that your in Munchen...lovely city! I got to Octoberfest back in 2008, I think it was. Something everyone should experience. I miss Germany!

https://vanness1938.com/products/elsterg...hing-paste
Just looked and here is a place in Arkansas that carries it.
The following 2 users Like GAW9576's post:
  • Old Sarge, RobinK
Like Reply
RobinK do you have any experience with Elsterglanz for polishing stuff like acrylic or other non metallic pieces.
The following 1 user Likes GAW9576's post:
  • Old Sarge
Like Reply
(09-22-2021, 07:03 PM)GAW9576 Wrote: RobinK do you have any experience with  Elsterglanz for polishing stuff like acrylic or other non metallic pieces.
GAW9576 I do. Don't do it. Some kind soul in the US sent me NOVUS. That works exceedingly well. Depending on the state of your non-metallic pieces, toothpaste should work, too, though.

Back to Elsterglanz, it has been keeping these things clean for years. No visible wear or tear. Good stuff.

The following 3 users Like RobinK's post:
  • Dave in KY, GAW9576, Old Sarge
Like Reply
(09-22-2021, 07:15 PM)RobinK Wrote:
(09-22-2021, 07:03 PM)GAW9576 Wrote: RobinK do you have any experience with  Elsterglanz for polishing stuff like acrylic or other non metallic pieces.
GAW9576 I do. Don't do it. Some kind soul in the US sent me NOVUS. That works exceedingly well. Depending on the state of your non-metallic pieces, toothpaste should work, too, though.

Back to Elsterglanz, it has been keeping these things clean for years. No visible wear or tear. Good stuff.

Thank you. I have had really good luck with MAAS but I think I actually have some NOVUS if that's what I have I'll try it since I'm about out of MAAS.
The following 2 users Like GAW9576's post:
  • Old Sarge, RobinK
Like Reply
I've used Mothers for my Esterbrook pen and SR scale restorations.
The following 2 users Like Twelvefret's post:
  • GAW9576, Old Sarge
Like Reply
(09-16-2021, 03:51 PM)Jayaruh Wrote: I have a little brass brush that works great on those types of handles. It gets down in the grooves.

I need to find one of those little brushes. I just got a GEM 1912 from the 'Bay, and the handle doesn't thread all the way up snug to the head. I am thinking there is a lot of gunk in the threads, of either the head or the handle. I had received a 1912 last week that was missing a blade stop, so I have tried swapping handles and that didn't fix anything. I am just hoping its old soap and not damaged threads. I don't want to force it if can get something like that stiff little brush in there to clean better. Thanks for the tip!
The following 1 user Likes MaineYooper's post:
  • GAW9576
Like Reply